This recipe is so fast and so delicious, it is now one of my favorites to make.
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 4 mins
Total time: 9 mins
Calories: about 500 (without bread)
Serves 1 as a meal, or 2 as an appetiser
- 1 whole medium avocado
- about 1 cup medium to large shrimp, raw or uncooked frozen (defrost prior to cooking)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- olive oil
- coarse sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped
- chili powder, optional
- Half the avocado and take the pit out.
- Scrap out most of the meat, leaving a very thin layer to hold up the shell better. Set aside.
- Chop up the meat into squares and place in a bowl. With your hands, squish the squares a little bit, to crush some but so that most keep their shape. Set aside.
- In a pan, place about 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the minced garlic and the shrimp.
- Add a dash of coarse sea salt, and over low heat, cook just until the shrimp turn pink. Do not overcook, or they’ll be dry and hard.
- Pour the shrimp with garlic and olive oil into the bowl with the avocado pieces.
- Add some chopped parsley or cilantro and mix well. (If you want to incorporate some chili powder for extra flavour, do so now before mixing.)
- Spoon the mixture into the avocado shells, sprinkle with some freshly ground pepper, and garnish with additional parsley/cilantro if desired.
- Serve immediately (I served this with a piece of bread to break up the richness of the avocado).
Original recipe here