I just made this and it does deserve a mention. It had originally caught my eye due to the weirdness of the orange soda in the recipe, but now that i tried it, the taste of soda is very subtle – just gives the dish a bit of a sweet flavor (not overwhelmingly so though). I also changed the recipe slightly – the original was calling for garlic to be thrown in the pan first – in my experience that just causes the garlic to burn. And I am thinking that it would also be a good idea to add some lemon juice… although, i have to admit, I did not try it this time. Oh well, there’s always the next time.
- 1 pound shrimp
- 1 can orange soda (Fanta or whatever you feel like basically)
- 1 to 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/8 cup butter
- 3 to 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 lemon
- pepper, to taste
- Marinade the shrimp in the orange soda for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Heat the butter in a pan (wok or skillet, whatever is available in your kitchen.)
- Throw in the shrimps. Add the oyster sauce, pepper and garlic. (If you want, you can add some soda.) Squeeze the lemon into the pan.
- Toss and stir until the shrimps turn orange.
- Remove from the pan and serve with hot, steaming rice.